Monday, July 11, 2005

What's In A Name?

I love the name Sophia. It is so soft and elegant. It is the perfect name for a baby girl and would suit our sophisticated daughter as she passes through her teens into her young adult years. Her name will match her level of elegance as she begins a family of her own and gives us grandchildren. Bad news is that our friends had a baby girl first and the name Sophia is off the market.

Good names are hard to come by. They must be fairly original, creative and can't become Dick like Richard does or rhyme with Fart like Bart does. You must also be wary of the name sounding like a female body part such as Deloris (remember Seinfeld?).

Future parents spend endless hours writing endless lists with endless topics. We have lists of trees, animals, countries and people. We have translated all of these lists into Spanish. We have then expanded the lists by naming the various parts of the trees and animal anatomy.

I have chosen two, maybe three names that I like. My wife feels that if she keeps looking that she will find the perfect name, a new name, a name that will become the next big name because it will be the perfect name and she will not stop searching until she is confident that every letter combination possible has been exhausted and until she can confidently declare that the name *%^$#&% is the perfect name because it possesses the 86 qualities deemed most important by the participants of the scientifically designed study created to answer the most often asked question by all future mothers since the beginning of child birth. What should I name my child?

I try to pretend like I understand. I try to be excited about new baby names. The problem is that I have chosen two, maybe three names that I like. Even then, I am up for new suggestions.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You give me hope for the next generation!

1:40 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emma....a cute name that Ive always liked...or Rachel, a beautiful name for a beautiful girl. As for boys, ummm Alexander Matthew is a fav of mine for many reasons.....or switch it, Matthew Alexander....just stay away from the name Larain...it will follow ur child around and haunt her for the rest of her life!

3:59 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Free Website Counter